Steve Kluz, Esq.Of Counsel
Steve is a litigator and advisor who works relentlessly for his clients to get the best possible results. He practiced many years as a partner at a large national law firm, honing his litigation skills in court cases and arbitrations. He is skilled at understanding the critical issues in cases and working with his clients to develop sophisticated and cost-effective litigation plans that accomplish their goals.
Working to ensure his clients’ success is what drives Steve. He helps clients with contested trusts, estates, guardianships, and conservator proceedings and tirelessly works to resolve difficult and sensitive trust and estate issues. He partners with business clients to help them with legal matters of all sizes, from strategizing to avoid litigation, advocating on behalf of his business clients involved in litigation, and counseling clients after litigation to avoid larger and costlier future cases. He advises clients in the insurance industry, including insurance companies and third-party administrators, and enjoys helping his clients navigate regulations and work with state and federal regulators so that they can move forward and accomplish their business goals. He also works with policyholders seeking coverage from insurance carriers for their losses.
Steve’s litigation philosophy has guided his clients to excellent results, including these representative matters:
- Secured summary judgment for insurance company clients in case involving tens of thousands of breach-of-contract auto-glass claims arising in 16 states; asserted insurance fraud claims; and obtained successful confidential settlement of all claims.
- Successfully defeated claims in the New York Supreme Court for indemnification from outdoor equipment company and its stockholders in excess of $4 million for defense costs related to patent litigation.
- Successfully prosecuted insurance fraud claims against businesses.
- Lead counsel for two Minnesota counties in achieving favorable arbitration award in binding arbitration involving eight-figure valuation of facility that produces refuse-derived fuel as part of waste-to-energy process.
- Lead counsel for estate in complicated, multiparty litigation, involving issues of equitable mortgage, negotiable instruments, and receivership law, that culminated in transfer to estate of multiple businesses and parcels of real estate.
- Prevailed on motion for judgment on the pleadings in six declaratory judgment actions brought in five Minnesota counties, and consolidated by the Minnesota Supreme Court, brought by investor partners against the general partners in low-income tax-credit-housing partnerships.
- Settled two-phase auction rate securities case against broker-dealer on behalf of biodiesel fuel company for over $5 million.
- Obtained transfer of complex interest rates swap case from New York federal court to Missouri, concluding with favorable confidential settlement for biodiesel fuel company.
- Successfully settled insurance coverage action on behalf of developer of biomass-to-electricity power plant seeking to recover legal fees and costs under directors and officers liability insurance policy.
Bar and Court Admissions
State Bar of Minnesota
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1998
Carleton College, B.A. History, cum laude, 1993